School Search Process
School Search Process
If you are exploring this page, you are probably looking for a school that’s a good fit for a student in your life. You’ve come to the right place! This section of our website will guide you through the school search process. We’ll explain your options and help you discover a great school for your child, right here in KC.
Video: Considerations When Looking for a School
Evaluate Your Needs and Wants
There are many things to think about when looking for a school that’s a good fit for your unique child. The questions below are a place to start as you focus your school search and make a wish list for your ideal school. Their answers will help you determine your “must haves”, and “nice to haves” and also those things that you don’t want at all. You can even download an organizer to help you keep track of it all and compare school features that are most important to you. This is helpful to keep you headed toward your priorities and on the path to a school that will work well for your child and your family.
Ask Yourself Hard Questions
YOUR FAMILY’S VALUES – BIG QUESTIONS!
Before jumping into details about schools, take a step back and try to answer big questions about what you are looking for in a school.
- What was your school experience like and what do you hope for your child?
- What does education mean to your family?
- How much input do you want your child to have in their school options?
YOUR CHILD’S TEMPERAMENT AND LEARNING STYLE
Every child is unique. Maximize opportunities for your child’s success and consider what learning environment will be most effective for their academic and social progress.
- How does your child like to learn?
- Is classroom structure important or is your child more successful with freedom and independence? Maybe a combination?
- Do you want small classes?
- Do you want a large social community?
YOUR CHILD’S PASSIONS AND TALENTS
Knowing his or her interests may also help narrow down school choices.
- What does she love to do?
- What is he good at? Sports? Art? Technology? Politics? Languages? Debate? Dance?
SCHOOL FOCUS AND PHILOSOPHY
Kansas City has a variety of schools with a variety of philosophies and values. Which types sound right for your child?
- Would you like a rigorous school?
- A school that takes advantage of what Kansas City has to offer?
- A student-centered school?
- Does your religious values play a role in your school choice?
YOUR LOGISTICAL NEEDS
It is important to find a school that fits your family’s schedule and routines.
- Do you need transportation?
- Can you drive across town to drop off your child?
- Do you need an extended care program that allows you to drop off early or pick up late?
- How involved do you want to be (or can you be) in the school?
- Do you hope to include families from school in your social life?