- Make sure you know what information each school requires
- Be clear about any deadlines that need to be met
- Check to see if you qualify for free and reduced lunch. Many Kansas City families who do qualify receive priority.
- Many Pre-K classrooms feed into kindergarten. When applying to schools check if your preferred kindergarten offers Pre-K.
- Plan a visit! After you’ve narrowed your choices to two or three, set up a visit.
Apply for Pre-K Schools in Kansas City
Key Documents Most Schools Require
- Completed application*
- Birth Certificate
- Current Immunization Record or Religious Exemption Statement
- Proof of Address (also called “Proof of Residency”)
- Parent or guardian photo ID
*Additional information may be required
Enroll online on the KCPS website
Initial applications for Pre-K open on November 11, 2023. The initial application period closes on February 16, 2024.
If families miss the February 16 deadline, they will be put on a first-come, first-served basis.
All KCPS Pre-K is no-tuition.
Submit applications online or in-person at the Board of Education building, 2901 Troost Ave., Kansas City, MO 64109. Applications CANNOT be submitted at schools.
A number of charter schools offer free, on-site Pre-K. To apply, visit the school’s website.
A number of charter schools offer off-site Pre-K at cooperating early childhood centers. To enroll, families must qualify for free and reduced lunch. The application opens on November 11, 2023 and the deadline to apply is March 1, 2024.
If you qualify for and receive a spot in one of these Pre-K classes, you will be guaranteed a kindergarten spot in that charter school the following year.
Participating schools include:
- Académie Lafayette
- Allen Village
- Genesis School
- Gordon Parks
- Hogan Preparatory Academy
- Lee A. Tolbert
- Crossroads Academy
- Citizens of the World
- University Academy
- KC International Academy
For more information visit kcprekcooperative.org.
Additional Pre-K Options
Faith-based and independent private schools have their own unique applications. To learn more, contact each school’s admissions coordinator for enrollment questions.
For Head Start programs, please contact MARC. They accept applications on a rolling basis for children up to age 5 and pregnant women. You can call 816-841-3382 or email MARCheadstart@marc.org for more information.
ChildCare Aware is a comprehensive list compiled by the state of Missouri which includes early childhood centers, preschools connected to schools, faith-based, comunity-based, in-home providers, and more.
Our enhanced service will provide personalized child care search, expert guidance on what quality child care entails, and customized reports based on your requirements, saving you precious time. For more information please email: email@example.com call: 314-535-1458.