- Make sure you know what information each school requires
- Be clear about any deadlines that need to be met
- Plan to apply to several schools in Kansas City. With the exception of your KCPS Neighborhood school, there is no guarantee in a given year that you will get into a particular school so having several back-up plans is always smart.
School Search Process
Apply for K-12 Schools in Kansas City
Key Documents Most Schools Require
- Completed application
- Birth Certificate
- Current Immunization Record or Religious Exemption Statement
- Most recent report card/transcript (not required for kindergarten applicants)
Public Schools Also Require
- Proof of Address (also called “Proof of Residency”)
- Parent or guardian photo ID
How to Apply
KCPS Neighborhood & Signature Schools
Enroll online on the KCPS website
Applications for signature and neighborhood schools open on December 6, 2022
The initial round of applications deadline is February 15, 2023
The week of March 1st, initial seats will be offered, and parents will need to complete the registration form.
You can still apply after the deadline, seats will be offered at a later date.
Submit applications online or in person at the Board of Education building, 2901 Troost Ave., Kansas City, MO 64109. Applications CANNOT be submitted at schools.
A number of charter schools have joined together to share a common application online which allows you to apply to several schools at once schoolappkc.org. The deadline to apply is March 1, 2022.
Contact charter schools not participating in SchoolAppKC directly to pick up an application or to complete an online application.
Charter schools that have more applications than seats will have a lottery after the application deadline.
Faith-Based & Independent Private Schools
Each faith-based and independent private school has its own unique application.
Please contact each school’s admissions coordinator for enrollment questions.
Please see individual school listings for enrollment deadlines.