School Search Process
Video: How to Enroll/Apply
Apply for Schools
- Make sure you know what information each school requires
- Be clear about any deadlines that need to be met
- Plan to apply to several schools. With the exception of your KCPS Neighborhood school, there is no guarantee in a given year that you will get into a particular school so having several back-up plans is always smart.
Key Documents Most Schools Require
- Completed application
- Birth Certificate
- Current Immunization Record or Religious Exemption Statement
- Most recent report card/transcript (not required for kindergarten applicants)
Public schools also require:
- Proof of Address (also called “Proof of Residency”)
- Parent or guardian photo ID
KCPS Neighborhood & Signature Schools
Enroll online on the KCPS website
Applications for signature and neighborhood schools opened on December 4, 2018. Seats are filled on a first come first serve basis.
KCPS will notify you about your offers to signature schools on March 15, 2019. You have until March 29, 2019 to accept or reject an offer.
Submit applications online or in person at the Board of Education building, 2901 Troost Ave., Kansas City, MO 64109. Applications CANNOT be submitted at schools.
A number of charter schools have joined together to share a common application online which allows you to apply to several schools at once schoolappkc.org. The deadline to apply is March 1.
Contact charter schools not participating in SchoolAppKC directly to pick up an application or to complete an online application.
Charter schools that have more applications than seats will have a lottery after the application deadline.
Faith-Based & Independent Private Schools
Each faith-based and independent private school has its own unique application.
Please contact each school’s admissions coordinator for enrollment questions.
Please see individual school listings for enrollment deadlines.