School Search Process
Apply for Pre-K
- Make sure you know what information each school requires
- Be clear about any deadlines that need to be met
- Check to see if you qualify for free and reduced lunch. Many families who do qualify receive priority.
- Many Pre-K classrooms feed into kindergarten. When applying to schools check if your preferred kindergarten offers Pre-K.
- Plan a visit! After you’ve narrowed your choices to two or three, set up a visit.
Key Documents Most Pre-K Programs Require
- Completed application*
- Birth Certificate
- Current Immunization Record or Religious Exemption Statement
- Proof of Address (also called “Proof of Residency”)
- Parent or guardian photo ID
*Additional information may be required
Enroll online on the KCPS website
Applications for Pre-K open on December 5, 2019. Seats are filled on a first come first serve basis.
KCPS will notify you about your offers on March 2, 2020. You have until March 13, 2020 to accept or reject an offer.
All KCPS Pre-K is no-tuition.
Submit applications online or in person at the Board of Education building, 2901 Troost Ave., Kansas City, MO 64109. Applications CANNOT be submitted at schools.
A number of charter schools offer free, on-site Pre-K. To apply, visit the schools website or apply in-person.
A number of charter schools offer off-site Pre-K at cooperating early childhood centers. To enroll, families must qualify for free and reduced lunch. The application opens on November 9, 2019 and the deadline to apply is March 2, 2020. Families will be notified of their acceptance or waitlist status on March 4, 2020. If you qualify for and receive a spot in one of these Pre-K classes, you will be guaranteed a kindergarten spot in that charter school the following year.
Participating schools include:
- Genesis School hosted at Emmanuel Family and Child Development Center
- Hogan Preparatory Academy hosted at Operation Breakthrough
- Crossroads Academy hosted at St. Mark Center
- Citizens of the World hosted at St. Mark Center
- KIPP: Endeavor Academy KC hosted at St. Mark Center
- University Academy hosted at St. Mark Center
For more information visit kcprekcooperative.org.
Additional Pre-K Options
Faith-based and independent private schools have their own unique applications. To learn more, contact each school’s admissions coordinator for enrollment questions.
For Head Start programs, please contact MARC. They accept applications on a rolling basis for children up to age 5 and pregnant women. You can call 816-841-3382 or email MARCheadstart@marc.org for more information.